2015 has been a pretty great year for me, and I’m a little sad to see it go. I’ve definitely had my ups and downs, but it seems to overall have been a good one. So since I’m finishing up the year, I figured it would be good to say what are my favorite things that have happened, those things that I am most grateful for.
- Running, mainly my marathon. I really picked up on running this year, and I’m so proud of myself. I ran quite a few races, including my first marathon, and I’m so amazed at what my body can do. If you would have told me this time last year that I completed a marathon this year, I really would have laughed in your face. My body was kind of falling apart last winter, and it really got to its worst around my birthday in March. The fact that I’ve rebounded and taken control again is just so amazing to me.
- Gaining control over my health, both mental and physical. I started this year with a goal to straighten out my mental health, and I really think that I succeeded at that. I learned the best ways for me to treat and manage my depression, which is something that I’ve been struggling with for years. I’ve been trying not to overload my plate this year so that I can have time for myself and to breathe, and it’s worked out pretty well. With all my weird problems with my physical health this year, I wound up coming back stronger than before. There are still some days where my joints hurt beyond belief and I can’t help but have a limp in my step because of the pain in my leg, but I’ve gotten through what I hope is the worst of it.
- How I’ve changed as a musician. I finally achieved one of my biggest goals this year and made IUP’s Wind Ensemble for next semester. I’ve developed so much as a musician in the last year, and it’s unreal to me. I never thought I would have a recital, yet here I am, prepping for my solo junior recital in March. I never thought that I would make it out of Symphony Band on clarinet, yet here I am. I moved up to Symphony Band as second-chair first bassoon, and I’m still principal bassoonist of Concert Band. I played on clarinet studio three times this semester, including a master class with a visiting professor. I played bassoon on woodwind area, and it didn’t go nearly as bad as I thought it would. I’m still working on honing my skills, but I’m so amazed with where I’ve gone.
- My academics. I still prioritize my academics above almost all else, and it still pays off every time. In the spring, I had a 4.0 semester after taking 20 credits, a 4.0 with my 6 credits over the summer, and a 4.o this fall (including my Music History class, which I thought was going to kill me). Throughout everything that’s happened to me this year, I’ve still managed to put my academics first and make a name for myself at school that I can be proud of.
- My relationship. Dave and I have had a really good year, all the way since last New Year’s. I’m kind of bummed that we won’t get to spend this year’s together, but I know that we’ll have a good time when he comes back before spring semester. It’s just nice to be around someone so often who treats me well and can make me laugh like he does, and there’s nothing I enjoy more than snuggling up to watch a few new episodes of our favorite online series.
So that’s how my year shook down. What are some of your favorite things from 2015?